Saturday, February 27, 2010

Appliance Revolt


Less than 12 hours after I cooked liver for the first (and last) time, the oven range stopped working.

Coincidence? I think not.

I think it's appliance karma.

When I woke up yesterday morning I set the bread dough for the evening's meal out to do its final rising and then turned the oven on to preheat. About four minutes later there was a small boom sound - similar to dropping a heavy book on a floor. A quick look at the range revealed that the digital display was dead.

TMOTH confirmed that a circuit breaker had flipped. After that was corrected we plugged the range back in and it made a horrible grinding noise. The stove elements heat up properly but since the digital display is still dead the oven is useless. And we don't feel comfortable using the stove because of the horrible grinding noise that the unit makes when it's plugged in.

The appliance repair technician can't see us until Tuesday, and if he has to order a part it could be several days beyond that before it's repaired - if it can be repaired.

I sure hope it can be repaired. We bought the range a little over six years ago and committed to buying a nicer model at the time because, well, I'm a cooker. It's a smooth-top ceramic and has a convection fan in the oven. It's beautiful. And if it's DOA then I will be faced with one of the dilemmas during rationing year:

No new appliances.

Most appliances were rationed during WWII - you actually had to apply for permits during a period of time. So, if we have to replace our range, we have to buy something used. And this means less selection. What should I do? Buy a crappy, basic model to get us through rationing year and then replace it after restrictions are lifted? Or should I buy a used model closest to what I'm used to?

Of course, if I had my wish, I'd buy something like this. I've always told TMOTH that when I go through my mid-life crisis I'm going to buy refurbished 1940s kitchen appliances and not a fancy car.

In the meantime I'm faced with cooking this week's menu (already decided and supplies purchased) with the resources I have available: an electric skillet, an electric griddle, a microwave, a propane camp stove and a barbecue grill.

I'll let you know how the lasagna turns out.

--Rational Mama

4 comments:

  1. Well, if you need to you can always bring that lasagna over here and bake it in my oven.

    We could add some cheesy bread and other delectable side items. Maybe even a dessert.

    Just sayin;. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also pretty sure I want that Foodarama pictured in this post for my next fridge purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing I can think of that would make a grinding noise in an oven is the convection fan. So if you could somehow unplug it, you could probably still use the oven. And in any case it will probably be a cheap fix. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben, I sure hope you're right about it being a cheap fix!

    In the meantime I "baked" tonight's lasagna in an electric skillet! I placed a metal trivet in the bottom of the electric skillet and placed the foil-covered lasagna pan on top of the trivet. Then I added water in the skillet up to a little over half of the lasagna pan's height, put the lid on, and set the temp to 375 for a while. After about 40 minutes the lasagna was done; the only issue is that the top isn't nicely browned. Otherwise, dinner's on!

    ReplyDelete